Now, as many teachers end their school years, casting up the successes, sending their students on to new adventures, tidying up the class room, completing the admin… having given of yourself for nearly nine months with regularity and dedication… it is now time for something completely different.
It is now time to give something back to you!
What other profession offers a 2-3 month sabbatical every year? Whatever summertime happens to be for you, it can be an opportunity to update and refresh your own life and lifeline of purpose!
– 1 –
- We are teachers, parents, mentors, counselors and coaches of children who happen to represent a unique time in human history. It actually requires for us to have a mindset that corresponds with the deeper needs of the children in our care according to the times humankind has entered.
– 2 –
- The children in our care inherit a world very different to the world our parents and grandparents inherited. Not since the radical shift occurring as a result of the Industrial and subsequent ‘revolutions’, has any human generation been faced with such deep and fundamental changes as we are facing now.
– 3 –
- The young people of our time were ‘born’ to this time. They are acclimated, assimilated, integrated with it. What then do they need from their teachers, parents, mentors…?
– 4 –
- On one hand ‘generation next’ inherits a human world model that is entirely unsustainable and obsolete. On the other hand however, never has the world been so ‘small’! Never have we had the great encyclopedia of human experience and knowledge available to us instantly and immediately. Never have we been so close to the threshold of a unifying understanding of humanity – that there is so much more that is the same about us all, than is different.
– 5 –
- Educators of whatever walk of life and inkling carry a unique responsibility in our time. We can be a bridge for these children – a bridge between two eras in the unfolding human story.
– 6 –
- There is what to carry forward and what to leave behind? Not who, but what!
– 7 –
- Being onset with the children of our time, facing the same direction, facing future with the humble knowing that we are all in this together – is a choice for each one of us. The young need the stability and values of the elders of the tribe as the elders need the naturalization of the young. It is a mutual need.
Whatever is your walk of life; whatever your personal beliefs are about human life and purpose here; we are educators of a very unique generation. Give your self the gift of being current with yourself, our times and the children of our time. You will find yourself teaching with new eyes, new vigor and enthusiasm when the next school year comes rolling in.
Why not give it a try?!