Teaching ‘sustainability’ can be a challenging task. The song Green Green Green cuts through to some of the core values and notions to do with this important subject. It is a simple and catchy song that can help you to engender earth-friendly values whilst steering clear of current commercial profit, political or media persuasion and bias.
The song begins:
- Keep your life simple, keep it clean
- Find the ways to go Green Green Green
There’s such a wealth of wisdom to be gleaned from the idea of ‘simple and clean’; from the way natural systems work to true human principles of conservation. In this context, the word “simple” means – fundamental, sound, sincere, true…tangible, reliable, accessible, clear and clean.
There’s the bumper sticker saying: “The best things in life are not things!”
What are the best ‘things’ in life? Ask your children before and then after you spend time in this rich subject. You might find their answers shifting from ‘things’ literally, to more enduring qualities and values like love, family, safety, respect, peace, friendship, freedom, human rights… This is the first keyway to the idea of sustainability.
Why? Well, if a person has a fundamental deep respect for life, they won’t want to see the earth which supports us all… trashed! It is a simple argument.
The proposition of living ‘simple and clean’ begins in our hearts and minds! Then it will naturally extend to our practical lives.
The next line in the song goes:
- Taking care of the Earth is cool
- That’s why we go to Mother Nature’s School
The whole idea of “waste” is an invention of industrialization. There is no “waste” in natural systems, not really. One “system’s” trash is another “system’s” treasure! Just look at any eco-system, or the Laws of Physics or the multiple systems of the human body. Even our body waste was good compost once upon a time. There’s no such thing as “waste”!
- The bridging chorus goes –
1 2 3 4 5 The Earth is Alive!
- This goes everywhere!
- Isn’t it true that some of the simplest notions in life are the most profound and far- reaching?
- Why 5?????
- Believe it or not, the number five is itself a whole encyclopedia! It contains wisdom beyond the contents of most modern libraries or the Internet. Suffice to say for now, that the number five goes with the natural systems of the inner life of our planet earth.
- Beyond the “Gaia Hypothesis”, the Earth is most definitely alive, intelligent, sensitive and supporting beyond even uncommon perception.
- Children absolutely know this without question, unless they’ve already been indoctrinated away from natural understanding. Help our young friends to be at home with their innate and instinctive knowledge by expanding their fields of natural reference!
Be in the green of it! That’s where the true learning happens.